Saturday, March 25, 2023

Songbook Xtended: Stripped



Rammstein - Stripped (1998) [Original Post]

Usually I present these selections without comment. Who has the energy to be insightful? I try not to think about the project too much, but the CDClub Songbook is a subjective analysis and cataloguing of chronology. Did Justin Bieber kill music? That guy who smashed the thumbs down on YouTube in 2014 sure thought so! I try to stay naive, making heartfelt selections in the moment. Music that speaks to me. Yet as I update the master list - I can't help but notice this is the first appearance by Rammstein. How unlikely. I suppose one was part of a post-mourning exodus - a distraction. The German growler's addition to a Depeche Mode covers album. Self-effacing Songs For The Masses. I suppose it only makes sense. What would Depeche Mode be without their entry into Berlin leather bars? "Let me hear you make decisions without your television". English speakers shouldn't say tele-vision so deliberately, but I can live with it. It's evocative. That video is probably Not Safe For Work -- watch out for that. I've been researching mythologies and World War II for an unrelated project. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with how this participated in that, but here we are. An amusingly guttural cover of synthboy edginess.

No comments: