Thursday, January 08, 2009

Blog: Boy meets 1up, boy loses 1up...

What a strange turn of events, it has been!

If you've happened upon this page previously, you probably know me as a comic book fan, and aren't really all that interested in anything I have to say regarding the UGO buy-out. Quite rightly, too.
Only in my own headspace have been a regular at 1up, cheering along or grumbling quietly to myself in disagreement, while tapping at a keyboard, or engaging in some other inane task.

Having militantly listened to 1up podcasts for well over a year, I finally felt it reasonable enough to sign-up, when 1upFM was having download issues (a little over a month ago). It didn't hurt that I'd also come across someone else with similar interests, in the form of fellow Street Fighter fanatic, "BigMex". (Who almost certainly didn't find me via an embarrassing, yet common, Google search Tongue out).

I left my heart with the PSX (Playstation), but I've been "gaming" for the better part of twenty years, and fell instantly in love with the first Street Fighter II in arcades.

With that in mind, the shockwave that really hit me, was the fact that EGM is gone.
It seems in an age of digital media, user-generated content, and financial crisis, the sanctity of print materials is constantly under threat. This trend has only enhanced the prestige of brands that have existed for as long as EGM.

The Street Fighter fan in me obviously instantly thinks of "Sheng Long," but as a gamer who spent most of his reading time loitering around Sega and Sony magazines, there aren't many general publications I can name. EGM is one of them.

I'm inclined to consider the twenty-year legacy of a publication bigger than the people that contributed to it, but that's just me. While I haven't been swept up in the community and personal associations, I have come to know and enjoy the voices of the podcasts.
In this respect, it's undeniable that UGO has jettisoned one of the most enjoyable aspects of the site, if not the most profitable. I don't know how receptive some of these folks will be to belated friend requests, but I intend to do my best to follow some of them to their future endeavours. Though very different to me, I have enjoyed the spirit the 1up and EGM staff have conveyed through these meaty slices of audio discussion.

Some of the staff have already made a bloody admirable effort to carry this tradition on!
Like many of you, I've already downloaded the first "Rebel FM" podcast, and have been thoroughly impressed. As much as I enjoyed 1upFM, the first instalment of this spin-off offered a greater diversity of interests, opinions, and discussion that was greatly appreciated.
I'm sure you don't need my endorsement or encouragement, but if you haven't already, you might like to sprint, jog, or saunter, over to Eat. Sleep. Game. where many of the lost, have been found.

I agree, the hierarchy of events is a little conspicuous, but the podcast is fantastic.
Particularly appreciated, a moment of in depth discussion about fighting games (RE: Street Fighter), which, I would selfishly say, was sorely absent from 1upFM and 1up Yours. But I'm not to be trusted.

I'm sure there are more informative or passionate articles around the 1up Blogosphere, but I felt it was about damn time I posted some original content, and maybe made an effort to introduce myself.

We now return you to article teasers from my better known comics blog.
I hope you will buy something. Please.

Original Post: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=8977994

No comments: