Tuesday, January 11, 2011

1UP: The Actual Decade Ends and I Give A Crap!

[Roughly] this time last year, I capped off a busy blogging epoch with thoughts about the then immediate gaming past, present, and future.

This somewhat incorrectly labelled "Decade-Ending Review to a Kill" was an informal discussion based on the topics and obssessions that fuelled much of my time on 1UP to that point. It was underscored by a general sense of skepticism that accompanied the assumptions of the current console generation. Having spent significantly less time blogging in the last six months, I don't have as many thematic throughlines as I did at the beginning of 2010, but I don't expect that will have changed my feelings a great deal...

One of the biggest differences between then and now is that I'm knee deep in relatively contemporary gaming. I've learned to stop worrying and love owning a current console myself, and it is good. Owning a console myself hasn't miraculously changed my perspective on gaming and life, but the timing for me was right. For the most part, I still like the same types of things, and still have the same prejudices, but at least now I can loathe the latest first-person shooter making waves, with a wireless control in my hand, and an active internet connection.

Full Article: http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9068305

No comments: