Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Infinite Wars: Batman vs Catwoman

MONTHLY PUNCH-UP #11 (November, 2006)
BATMAN versus CATWOMAN
Dark Moon Rising
Where: Batman: The Mad Monk #1 When: October 2006
Why: Matt Wagner How: Matt Wagner

Quick Fix...
Alright, I didn't get a lot for Christmas, but among the few comics I got were four issues of Batman and the Mad Monk. I haven't had the chance to read through them all yet, but this issue caught my eye straight away for the opening pages, which detail the fight we're discussing here.

The general gist of these Wagner mini-series [the previous being Batman and the Monster Men - Speak to the Manager, Mike] is to canonize stories inspired by the Golden Age of Batman, whilst placing them in a contemporary interpretation; ala Year One.

I have to admit, I'm a fan who's pretty content with a too-serious-for-his-own-good take on the Batman, so a more transparent Batstory about monsters and cults isn't usually my cup of tea. I can appreciate these pulpy Golden Age stories for what they are, but prefer to leave them there.

That said, Wagner's pencils look great, if a little shakey in a vein not dissimilar to Howard Chaykin at times. This is particularly noticable against a Chaykin-esque eighties colour palette, although, Cameron Stewart's colours are generally more diffused and mat, which is much more to my liking. This rings true of the Year One inspirations.

Full Article: http://secretearths.blogspot.com/2006/11/monthly-punch-up-11-november-2006.html

No comments: