Saturday, April 29, 2023

Songbook Xtended: Boo-Hoo



Russ Morgan - Boo-Hoo (1937) [Original Post]

I watched the 1987 Canadian movie Crazy Moon recently and Boo-Hoo was reprised throughout. I feel no better than one of those freaks discovering Phil Collins through a Grand Theft Auto video game, but hey. Give me credit for at least finding it in a slightly more interesting way. You gotta make these discoveries where you can. It might be lame, but it's growth. I enjoyed hearing Boo-Hoo.in the film, which is about an awkward, bullied young man who likes old fashioned music, suits, wears boxing head gear & goggles while driving a motorcycle (or riding in the sidecar), and falls in love with a deaf girl who helps him overcome his fear of water. Taking photographs of dogshit almost gets him thrown in a sanitarium. It's a trip -- and hard to believe it was released the same year Kiefer Sutherland was appearing in The Lost Boys. The song is great and gives us our first selection from the thirties. The late thirties. The time when the Second World War was brewing. Did I mention I've been reading up on WWII? Don't worry. I haven't been taking any photos.

No comments: