Wednesday, April 26, 2023

TrailerClub: Party Girl



Party Girl (1995) [Original Post]

I was happy in the nineties. Obnoxiously so. I consumed the world ravenously, but I missed Party Girl. A lot of people did, apparently. It's become a bit of a rediscovered classic. I think it's part of the Criterion Collection now. I'm glad it is. Sure, it's nostalgic to revisit a 1995 that means something to me, but isn't always on screen. I'd like to think there's a little bit more than that in play, though. Parker Posey cracks me up. She's subtly hilarious and in fine form in Party Girl. I still haven't decided how best to compare this to Clueless -- the better remembered "chick flick"from '95. Clueless, but for cool people? Clueless, but for twenty-somethings? Clueless, but in New York? I don't know. It's just the kind of movie that Clueless kinda eclipsed, against better judgment. Music, fashion, a whole scene. Enjoyed the heck out of this. Even with Liev Schrieber playing a very dubious English would-be sex offender.

No comments: