Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Songbook Xtended: Passion Babe



Aldous Harding - Passion Babe (2022) [Original Post]

There are many sounds that come out of Aldous Harding, each projecting different modes and characters. I have mixed feelings about this one. A little too seventies and elementally earthy for this boy of who identifies as steel, or at least something more cold. Affectations of folksy naivete bordering on the disingenuous. I don't know if it's entirely necessary to purse "costs a lot", but I'm not going to tell her to stop. Nobody else is singing like this and I like it. In total Passion Babe is an undeniably catchy number. Interactive with its occasionally difficult lyrics painting pictures of life and sex. Or am I imagining that? I read a review that effectively said Harding's lyrics are obtuse and don't say much. I disagree and question whether the reviewer actually listened to this album. It seems to me a lot of Harding's lyrics have sexual subtext. This one sounds like it could be an ode to a full and passionate relationship, or perhaps even a grappling with the constraints of commitment, and the gravity of infidelity. There's a story here. Favourite lyric: "Of all the ways to eat a cake, this one surely takes the knife."

No comments: