Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Songbook Xtended: Welcome to My Island



Caroline Polachek - Welcome to My Island (2022) [Original Post]

I wasn't immediately sold on this song the way I was Billions. It's not as clever, or interesting. Even if that wide-eyed, operatically orgasmic wail at the start immediately hooks me in -- it's the dips that bother me. The quiet moments. The small, mortal chatter. It reminds me of the shackles that burdened Chairlift songs I just couldn't quite get on board with. Caroline Polachek is an undeniably compelling talent. Her voice a siren song. When it takes full flight she is a force to be reckoned with. A force of nature. As singles from the Desire, I Want To Turn Into You album continue to appear - I think it will be an unrivaled favourite. I'm now fully tuned in to paying attention to Polachek's work. I've visited her island and so far I like it. A rare thing these days. I'm just looking for a more even, intriguing, enticing experience from her singles. The Desire sections of this song, without the muttering.

No comments: