Friday, April 21, 2023

Songbook Xtended: Smoke



Caroline Polachek - Smoke (2023) [Original Post]

Once again Caroline Polachek makes catching the charts & new releases worthwhile. If I had reservations about Welcome to My Island, Smoke delivers exactly what I needed. A full sound, consistent throughout. Big drums like CocoRosie's Rainbowarriors, with a jubilant Enya does End Credits vibe that makes me want to dance in the dirt in the setting sun. Or is it rising? I don't know if anybody cares about making music for me any more, but Polachek at least gives me hope and lifts my spirits. I only wish this single were longer. Its euphoric context over too soon. A hot, wet euphoric sound captured in a video that doesn't seem all that dissimilar to some of Polachek's live stage production. I believe she said somewhere she wanted it to reflect how it feels to perform the song. It seems pretty amazing to me. So does she. I hope it continues.

No comments: